There is just something about classic Nintendo games, especially on the Nintendo 64 that really push the boundaries of their E rating. Having completed my 120 Star run in 3D All-Stars I have reacquainted myself with the Haunt. It may not be as bad as other games (see Dead Hand from OoT) but it’s not from a lack of effort. I would argue that this is the only Boo mansion where the music is truly unnerving and this is the only place where this song plays In fact I don't think this song has ever been used outside of this game in any capacity.
Other levels in future games are more whimsical in nature, like a school made haunted house. They capture that spooky essence and are mostly light hearted. Big Boo’s Haunt features fast paced music overlaid with a constant guttural hum in a dark decrepit cage surrounded by a dark forest in a mansion filled with disembodies eyes, ghosts, coffins, and traps. The Big Boo taunts you with regards to the fact that they can’t be killed, and questions if you’ll be able to leave alive. I can’t recall any other “Boo House” that leans into the horror theme as much as this but it works really well even after all these years. Hopefully we’ll see a return sometime down the line, until then I suppose I’ll have to settle with reliving the experience in All-Stars.
Three day old threads are only visible to verified humans - this helps our small community management team stay on top of spam
Sorry for the extra step!
About Agent9one of us since 12:45 PM on 04.13.2010
Who is Agent9? The not so secret agent of the destructoid community.
A Few things about me
- I'm almost finished with my degree in computer science and I plan on going into independent development and freelancing once I'm done.
- I can be very cynical, but I do try to be positive or curb my negativity. In spite of this I'm actually very jovial in person and I don't get mad often. I would dare say I'm quite happy, even when things seem bleak. I simply don't like industry Bullshit and I'm not one to stand for it, even if it's a game I like.
- I host a series annually called 31 Days where I post 1 horror related or themed video game song a day for the month of october. During this time I also provide keys for games (free of course) to any reader observant enough to find them.
- I've been a member of destructoid since 2010, and a lurker long before then. As such I've seen many people both come and go. Such is the natural order of things.
- I enjoy Art and draw in my spare time
- I also enjoy theatre and films. I especially like Horror movies (both good and bad ones).
- I go camping once or twice a year. I would go out more but my allergies tend to get in the way.
- I don't drink, which may be a surprise to some. I might make a joke or two about it but I stay away from alcohol for my own personal reasons, though you can feel free to drink a pint on my behalf any time you'd like.
My Top 20 Games (By the ever Illustrious Dango
I also got a musical piece made for me by the incredible Alphadeus. A little history behind this:
My musical piece came as part of the Songs for Gamers album DLC pack 02. Alphadeus has been making songs for the members of the destructoid community for years already. This past year he opened submissions and I applied. For my meagre efforts I received this lovely piece: