I had a fair amount of thought on this pick in particular. I thought of doing a different track but in the end this for me was by and large the creepiest song in the game.
Strains of Insanity: Chrono Trigger
That eldritch sound that Lavos makes was certainly a contender along with the future world after Lavos. They are creepy for sure, but they just don’t feel as creepy as Strains of Insanity (Magus Castle). The Song keeps up the pressure with a chord that won’t stop playing as someone either laughs or cries in the background.
I’m reminded of the scene from the animated series (Batman Beyond) when the Joker brain washes Tim Drake and he shoots the Joker. He’s Laughing and smiling but truthfully he’s crying. The contrast of the 2 emotions on display as Batgirl holds him when he finally breaks down into sobs. I am reminded of that singular moment in time when I listen to this. The difference is it’s on a constant loop that won’t end until the stage ends. A constant expression of conflict set to a very unsettling and somber track. Even now when it’s late in the night the song still unnerves me, more so than any other song in the game.
Three day old threads are only visible to verified humans - this helps our small community management team stay on top of spam
Sorry for the extra step!
About Agent9one of us since 12:45 PM on 04.13.2010
Who is Agent9? The not so secret agent of the destructoid community.
============================================================= A Few things about me =============================================================
- I'm almost finished with my degree in computer science and I plan on going into independent development and freelancing once I'm done.
- I can be very cynical, but I do try to be positive or curb my negativity. In spite of this I'm actually very jovial in person and I don't get mad often. I would dare say I'm quite happy, even when things seem bleak. I simply don't like industry Bullshit and I'm not one to stand for it, even if it's a game I like.
- I host a series annually called 31 Days where I post 1 horror related or themed video game song a day for the month of october. During this time I also provide keys for games (free of course) to any reader observant enough to find them.
- I've been a member of destructoid since 2010, and a lurker long before then. As such I've seen many people both come and go. Such is the natural order of things.
- I enjoy Art and draw in my spare time
- I also enjoy theatre and films. I especially like Horror movies (both good and bad ones).
- I go camping once or twice a year. I would go out more but my allergies tend to get in the way.
- I don't drink, which may be a surprise to some. I might make a joke or two about it but I stay away from alcohol for my own personal reasons, though you can feel free to drink a pint on my behalf any time you'd like.
============================================================= My Top 20 Games (By the ever Illustrious Dango =============================================================
I also got a musical piece made for me by the incredible Alphadeus. A little history behind this:
My musical piece came as part of the Songs for Gamers album DLC pack 02. Alphadeus has been making songs for the members of the destructoid community for years already. This past year he opened submissions and I applied. For my meagre efforts I received this lovely piece: